Friday, August 19, 2011

Homemade “Liquid Stringer” Trials

I found a recipe online for a homemade liquid stringer. Liquid stringer is glass powder mixed with a liquid agent that allows the glass to be squeezed out of a plastic bottle onto a sheet of glass. In my case I used Aloe Vera, the green kind used for sunburns. Mix the Aloe with powdered glass and a little water and fill squeeze bottles with the stuff. Then you can “paint” sheets of glass by squeezing out the liquid stringer. These pictures are some of the trials that we ran. I had my wife and 2 year old help me with the designs.


They were fired to 1400F which left them the exact same shape they came out of the bottle with no slumping at all. Next time I will try 1450F to see if they will melt down a little. It does give a cool 3D effect.

The crushed glass came as always from bottles. The colors are blue, sapphire, green, brown, dark green, and yellow green.

No comments:

Post a Comment