Friday, January 6, 2012

Salvaging a Shed

Along with the salvaging we have been doing on a house that is slated to be demolished, we were able to salvage a shed.  This was much more of a process than it originally looked to be.  We got permission to use a fork lift to move it, but it was just too big.

 We tried to strap some dunnage 4x4s onto the tines to be able to span the distance to the back wall.  As you can see by the picture, the shed was way too heavy and snapped two 4x4s in half.  We gave it a few weeks to think about it and came back with a plan that ultimately worked.

 We were able to get some tube steel to attach to the tines that spanned all the way across.  We also tied the shed onto the fork lift to keep it from rocking.

 We were lucky that the shed balanced out.  Finally we were able to move it out of the back yard and 6 blocks away onto our new lot.  The shed will be a temporary storage while we are building.
 Along with making sure we didn't hit any power lines on the way there, the scariest part was that to get it out of the back yard we had to lift it over one of the houses.  Luckily both houses are going to be torn down.  I don't know if I would have dared trying that stunt over an occupied house. We did loose a few shingles on the yellow house.

I almost forgot, we also flattened a chainsaw in the process.

1 comment:

  1. Impressive projects my friend!

    I am in San Antonio now until Sep 13 until my graduation from this basic officer course (seems like an easy review so far), but then Denise will be able to join me. She is hanging with her folks in West Valley some and my folks in Ephraim some. Sorry we missed you last week while we were down. Good luck on your house!!