Thursday, July 12, 2012

Building a Shed

Image of the Google SketchUp Model

Started collecting pallets and rocks
spreading out the rocks
This project has "Crazy" written all over it.  First of all the reason behind it.  Our son has autism and qualifies for services such as SSI, DSPD, and Medicaid.  There are several requirements to be able to quaify and one of those has to do with assets that we own.  One of the asset stipulations is that we cannot own property that we don't live on.  Well, back in December we bought some property to build our straw bale house on.  When we did that SSI put us on hold with their services for one year.  We figured that we could survive for a little while, but now the bild still hasn't started and we are being told that come December if we don't live on the property we will loose SSI.  Because the other programs are based off of our eligibility for SSI, we will loose them as well.  By the way there is a 4 year waiting list to get back on.  We have gone the rounds to try and find a solution, but it boils down to needing to move on the property while we build.  

The first day of foundation wall
Long story short, we just bought a camper trailer and I'm going to build a shed.  The purpose of the shed is to give us extra space to store things, a place to hang out and a place to eat together.  After the house is built, the shed will serve as my glass shop until I can build an official shop and then the shed will be a really cool hangout for the kids.Here is the link to the SketchUp model:

The corner at the right was the shallowest and everything after that took more rocks and a lot more time
The code here says that anything over 200 square feet needs a building permit, but anything under that doesn't, which also means that it doesn't need inspections.  So, I am going to build a pallet shed with an earthen floor, light clay straw/wood chips/foam insulation inside the pallets, a rocket mas heater, and an earthen plaster finish inside and out.  I was hoping to do all of this under $500.  The original plan was to use a living roof, but with the materials at hand the living roof would be too heavy, so I'll probably use a metal roof manufactured here in town instead.
That's me working
The foundation used a lot of stone and urbanite (used concrete) mortared together with a cement cap to make it all level.  Anchor bolts were put in between the rocks and mortared in.  The mortar cost $75, the cement $41, the rocks and urbanite came off the property $0 and the anchor bolts (and a lot of other materials for this little project) were salvaged from a dumpster $0. 

Trying to bring up the wall to the right level
 I have been able to find all of the 2x4 material, pallets, windows, door, joists for the loft, wiring, screws, trim, and carpet (for the loft) all through dumpster diving as well as some of the treated toe ups, and most of the plywood.  As we get further along I'll keep you up to date on what I have salvaged and what I have had to purchase.  The reasons we are trying to keep it cheep are 1) Duh who wants to spend extra money, and 2) we are trying to keep a good down payment for the construction loan for the real house.
First corner finished

This process takes a lot longer than just pouring a cement foundation
I spent hours doing this.  After sitting like this for a few hours , It would take me several minutes before I could stand up straight
Almost done with the foundation

A concrete slab to level off the top

1 comment:

  1. Its going to come out great, I can already sense it.

    -Bronx Shower Doors